Wednesday, September 29, 2010

About Breast Cancer: Male Supporters Get Depressed, Too

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Breast Cancer

Symptoms / Diagnosis

Treatment

Daily Life



From Pam Stephan, your Guide to Breast Cancer
Guys who support a woman they care for present a toughness and resiliency. They fight for the woman's life, they keep their armor on. But how do they fare, once treatment is over?

Breast Cancer Husbands Get Depressed, Too
My husband is just amazing - he fought this disease with me in every way he could. Then, about the time my chemo curls started to come in, he developed some odd symptoms. His childhood asthma resurfaced, panic and anxiety reared up, and the blues came to visit. It turns out that a certain percentage of men fall victim to mood disorders after their women start to recover. Read more about this recent study.

Sex Problems After Breast Cancer
About 28% of survivors say they have a significant problem with sex after breast cancer. It certainly affects your relationships - and may leave you longing for intimacy, instead of your pre-treatment sexuality. For an overview of the impact of breast cancer on your sex life, visit our site on Sexuality, or discuss sex after cancer on the Breast Cancer Forum.

Ways Breast Cancer Can Change Your Life
How did I change after breast cancer? Let me count the ways - in body, in emotions, in priorities, in my attitudes about health. I lost some friends, but I got some new relationships. I took an inventory of what was meaningful in my life, and quit a job - then started a different line of work. Perhaps it affected you differently - and that's good! Tell me about your life changes after breast cancer.

Everything For Newly Diagnosed Patients
About a year ago, I started creating a new section on my site: all kinds of information for the newly-diagnosed patient. You may have seen bits and pieces of it during the past year. But now it's complete and I want to share it with you, or with anybody who may need it. I cover emotions, diagnosis details, additional testing, dealing with doctors, treatment decisions, young women's concerns, workplace issues, and how to prepare - before you start treatment. There's more for you to discover, and I invite you to take a tour and let me know what you think.

 


Breast Cancer Ads
Featured Articles
Decode Medical Terms - Breast Cancer Glossary
Breast Cancer Basics - Definition, Types, Survival Statistics
Risk and Prevention
Newly Diagnosed - What You Need to Know Before Starting Treatment
Is It Breast Cancer? - Diagnosis, Tests, Results
Treatment Options for Breast Cancer

 

More from About.com

Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Knowing whether you have a cold or the flu can help you treat your symptoms more effectively. More>



Concerned About Your Drinking?
This short quiz can help you identify whether or not you have a drinking problem. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Pam Stephan
Breast Cancer Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Breast Cancer newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 


Reader to Reader
Did Your Man Get the Blues?
My Experiences with Sexuality During Cancer
My Life Lesson From Breast Cancer

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter

Search This Blog

Blog Archive